Group Jam/Improvisation Classes Launched!
After a successful run of trial group based classes on jamming and improvisation, I've decided to formally launch bi-monthly sessions!
You can book in online at any time, but please check in with Zaid to ensure you are grouped into the appropriate ability.
What Is Improvisation or 'Jamming'?
Quoting WIKIPEDIA; Improvisation can be thought of as an "on the spot" or "off the cuff" spontaneous moment of sudden inventiveness that can just come to mind, body and spirit as an inspiration.
I personally like to think of improvisation as 'the art of spontaneous composition'.
Why Would I Want To Learn To Improvise?
The answer to this question is simple: It's fun! Tonnes of research has been done into impact of creativity while learning, and it's widely regarded as being a crucial facet of learning any instrument.
Check out this article on why improvisation should be part of every young (and older!) musicians life by Bullet Proof Musician.
Who Are The Group Classes Aimed At?
These classes are aimed at those looking to experience improvising with other like minded and skilled people. Zaid will to try and help provide you with the necessary tools to create music collaboratively and spontaneously. All ages are catered for.
Regardless of if you've never improvised in a group before, or if you are looking to further your skills in improvisation, these classes offer an informal, relaxed and supportive environment guided by Zaid to help you progress.
They're also a great place to meet potential band mates!
What Do I need To Know/Be able To Do To Take Part?
At the very least, you'll need to:
- Be able to play in time, preferably to a metronome - this is crucial!
- Be able to play your C, A, G, E and D chords in at least the open position
- Brownie points for those able to identify the 3rd degrees of each of these chords and play their minor versions!
- Know at least your first position pentatonic scale, and a major scale pattern
If you have any doubts about your abilities, or need some advice on if these classes are suitable for you, please get in touch so I can advise you!
What Will I learn?
- How to pick appropriate chord progressions to allow others to play melodies over
- How to choose the right scale for you chord progression
- How to use chords to break out of 'scale boxes'
- How a little intervalic and harmonic theory can be applied
- How to apply advanced rhythm techniques like syncopation and polyrythems
- How to work with other musicians in a collaborative and constructive manner
Check out my primer presentation below on improvisation. First timers will be taken through this in their very first session.
I'm In! How Do I Book?!
Improv classes are currently limited to 3 students at a time and are held bi-monthly. You can book online and find a date that suits you best. I'll do my upmost to ensure you are grouped in with people of a similar ability and experience.